Friday, February 11, 2011

to iphone or not to iphone............what exactly is the question?

Hello friends!  Today I am going to give you my 2 cents about the iPhone and should you jump on the Verizon bandwagon.  First I have got to give credit where credit is due.  The iPhone was the first of it's kind and still leads the way in smartphone technology, but that does not mean it is the best offering out there.  Don't get me wrong, I have an iPhone 4 and overall it is very nice.  Still there are a few things about it I would change. One thing in particular that comes to mind is the way I have to unlock it to answer it.  Now I'm probably not like the average user but more times than often I am busy doing something else when it rings and to answer it I have to unlock it which means I have to slide the arrow at the bottom of the screen all the way to the right and if I don't slide it just the right way it won't unlock and the phone keeps ringing or playing some awful ringtone that I had to select because Apple doesn't want us to have a cool phone with a cool ringtone. (Whew!) Most of the time it requires 2 hands to do this correctly (one to hold the phone and a finger of the other hand properly sliding the the arrow to unlock it). I would make it much easier to unlock, after all, it's doesn't require a password to get in.  Why not just tap the screen to unlock it? Hey! I can do that with only one hand!

But the point of this blog is to get you to ask yourself, why would you want to get the iPhone at this time whether it be with AT&T (whose service sucks) or with the much preferred Verizon network?  The truth is that every summer since the first iphone hit the market, Apple has produced and marketed a newer version with cooler stuff (that you just can't live without and YOU GOTTA HAVE IT NOW!!) than the last one. There are rumors that Apple is working on the iphone 5 now and if history means anything it will probably come out this summer.

Now here's the real kicker.  Many of you are like me and tied down to a 2 year contract with AT&T or whoever you may have holding the key to the lock that will set you free. (Can I get a amen?) So, let's say you are with another carrier and want to jump on iPhone bandwagon.  Well, you probably will incur a hefty penalty (maybe hundreds of bucks) if you leave your current carrier before the end of your contract.  And guess what? If you have an iPhone 4 with AT&T,  your AT&T iPhone 4 is not compatible with the Verizon network.  So you can't just change carriers, you would have to buy the Verizon iPhone and it is the same model (iPhone 4) that you bought when you signed up with AT&T only now you would have 2 of them and only 1 would work.  Not only that, but if you jumped on the iPhone bandwagon now, you would be contracted (with either Verizon or AT&T) for 2 more years on an iPhone that will probably be last years news in only a few months.  OH! And if you have been downloading iTunes to your AT&T phone and then you did go to Verizon, you would lose your tunes, unless you want to go thru the hassle of changing each of them to the MP3 format first.  I don't know your situation but for me that is a lot of work.

So the answer to the question is up to you.  Would you really want to jump right now?  Let me know your thoughts by posting a comment in the comment section below. 

Once again I thank you for visiting my blog site and hope you come back again. :)















No comments:

Post a Comment